The Media Trust
Ledbury Calendar

Visit Ledbury
Ice Bytes


Residents offered grants to reduce energy bills PDF Print E-mail
Written by Herefordshire Council   
Thursday, 17 June 2010 09:19

Herefordshire Council has just relaunched its Special Energy Efficiency Scheme (SEES) for 2010/11 offering up to £500 to help county residents install energy saving measures and help to reduce their fuel bills.

Conserving energy in the home also makes a vital contribution towards the Government's climate change commitments to reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 34 per cent by 2020 and 80 per cent by 2050.

Loft insulation, cavity wall insulation, draught proofing for doors and windows, thermostatic radiator valves, room thermostats, programmers, hot water cylinder thermostats and jackets are all measures covered by the SEES grants.

Councillor Phil Cutter, Herefordshire Council's energy champion, said: "As fuel costs continue to increase, more and more people are seeking ways to reduce their energy bills.

"Last year we issued a record 1,130 SEES grants and a further 1,300 people received grants for loft and cavity wall insulation.

"It is wonderful to be able to help so many households and I hope people will take advantage of this new round of grants which will not only reduce their fuel bills but will also reduce the impact their activities have on the environment," he added.

Private homeowners or private tenants living in Herefordshire may apply if they are aged 60 or over; or if they heat their home as a main source of heat by electric storage heaters, electric central heating, solid fuel central heating, LPG central heating, oil fired central heating, room heaters with no central heating, or if they pay for their fuel use with prepayment meters.

Any private home owner or tenant with less than 4inches of loft insulation can also apply for a grant to pay for the insulation to be topped up to the recommended depth of 10 inches. They are also eligible for cavity wall insulation regardless of income.

Aside from the SEES scheme, there are other heavily discounted schemes which residents can apply for to have their home insulated funded by energy suppliers.

To find out more contact Domestic and General Insulation on 0844 5430043 or the Energy Saving Trust Advice Centre on 0800 512012.

To help people know how electricity is used in their homes, energy display meters are also available to loan from the county libraries. These devices really show where energy is being wasted in homes and can help encourage people to switch off lights when leaving rooms as well as turning off all appliances at the plug rather than having them use electricity when they are on standby.


Last Updated on Thursday, 01 July 2010 13:33

Comments, category: "Our Environment"